Golgi Apparatus class 9th
Golgi apparatus consists of a system of membrane bounded vesicles arranged
parallel to each other in stacks called Cisternae along with some large and spherical
vacuoles. It was discovered by Camilo Golgi. In plants Golgi membrane is
bounded. It is single membrane bounded. It is absent in prokaryotes, mammalian
RBC’s & sieve cells.
Functions of Golgi apparatus :
(a) It helps in formation of lipids.
(b) It helps in formation of middle lamellae.
(c)It is secretary in nature.
(d)It helps in melanin synthesis.
(e)Lipids and proteins synthesized in endoplasmic reticulum are
packed at Golgi complex. They provide the site for assembly of new membrane material.
It is a rod shaped structure found in cytoplasm of all eukaryotic cells except
• These are also absent in prokaryotes.
• It was first seen by Kolliker in insect cells.
• Maximum mitochondria are found in metabolically active cells.
• It is also called as ‘Power House of the Cell’ or the ‘Storage Battery’.
• It is double membranous structure where outer membrane has specific
proteins while inner membrane is folded inside to form chambers called
Functions of Mitochondria :
(a Its main function is to produce and store the energy in the form of
(b)It is the site of Kreb cycle of respiration.